Written by Anthony Demangone, Powered by NAFCU
NAFCU works with Boardsource quite a bit. They are a group dedicated to non-profit boards.
They released a 2017 study which you can download. But they did release an overview, which highlights five trends.
- While boards highlight that diversity is a priority, there hasn't been much progress made in the past 2 years.
- Boards are embracing their roles as advocates for the group's mission - but more is leadership is needed.
- The more the board understands the organization's mission and programs, the better they perform.
- Boards that assess their own performance perform better than those that do no.
- Two characteristics seem to be most closely tied to better performance:
- The board's understanding of its roles and responsibilities
- It's ability to work as a collaborative team toward shared goals.
A pretty darn solid study, in my humble opinion.
A few items to note.
- NAFCU's Board of Directors and Supervisory Committee Conference is coming up this May. It is a great conference for your officials to gain perspective of what is happening in the industry and the challenges that management teams face.
- We've sold out a number of conferences this year due to membership growth. I'd love to say that won't happen in 2018, but... Here's a list of all of our 2018 conferences for planning purposes.
- NAFCU staff has been in the room as the tax legislation markup process unfolds. Watchdogs, that work for you.